Published on Sep 13, 2013 10:19am by Bruce Maxwell,
Whatever your sport or level of athletic ability, WCC’s intramural sports program has an upcoming chance for you to play.
“It’s for everybody,” said Erica Lemm, coordinator of the WCC Sports office. “It’s really for people who want to meet new people, get some exercise, and not make a long-term commitment to a club team.”
Most sports will be played in single-day tournaments that last about two hours. Most of the events require preregistration. “They can sign up on their own, they can sign up with a friend, or they can sign up a full team,” Lemm said.
Intramural sports are open to WCC students who are taking at least three credits and have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher, staff members, and faculty. The WCC Sports office provides equipment, and all events except the golf scramble are free. The golf scramble is free to the first 20 students who register, but employees must pay to participate.
To register for an event, stop by the WCC Sports office in Room 116 of the Student Center building or call 734-973-3720.
Here’s the schedule of upcoming events:
- 3v3 basketball: Monday, Sept. 16, at 6 p.m. Register by Sept. 13.
- 3v3 soccer: Tuesday, Sept. 17, at 6 p.m. Register by Sept. 16.
- Softball/home run derby: Wednesday, Sept. 18, at 4 p.m. Register by Sept. 17.
- Sand volleyball: Thursday, Sept. 19, at 5 p.m. Register by Sept. 18.
- Quidditch: Monday, Sept. 23, at 6 p.m. Register by Sept. 20.
- Kickball: Tuesday, Sept. 24, at 5 p.m. Register by Sept. 23.
- Ultimate Frisbee: Wednesday, Sept. 25, at 6 p.m. Register by Sept. 24.
- Platform tennis: Thursday, Sept. 26, at 5 p.m. Register by Sept. 25.
- Flag football: Monday, Sept. 30, at 6 p.m. Register by Sept. 27.
- Badminton: Tuesday, Oct. 1, at 5 p.m. Register by Sept. 30.
- 3v3 soccer: Wednesday, Oct. 2, at 5 p.m. Register by Oct. 1.
- Golf scramble: Saturday, Oct. 5, at 10 a.m. Register by Sept. 27.
- Dodgeball: Sundays Oct. 20 to Nov. 17, at 6:30 p.m. Register by Oct. 11.
- Arm wrestling: Wednesday, Oct. 23, at 4 p.m.
- Darts: Thursday, Oct. 24, at 4 p.m.
- Rock, paper, scissors: Tuesday, Oct. 29, at noon.
- Table tennis: Monday through Thursday, Nov. 4 to 7, at 5 p.m.
- Billiards: Monday through Thursday, Nov. 11 to 14, at 5 p.m.
- Community Room drop-in tournaments: Monday through Thursday, Nov. 18-21, at 5 p.m.